Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cool Ideas: Lesley's Midcentury Modern Hutch

My friend Lesley purchased an absolutely fantastic midcentury cabinet with hutch on Craigslist. Here's the picture from the posting:


At the moment it's sitting in her garage just waiting for some TLC. Even though I'm totally jealous that she scored this bad boy and I did not, I can't resist doing a little brainstorming.

The way I see it you can go one of two ways with this piece. If it's a real midcentury piece and not a reproduction, you could spend some time (LOTS AND LOTS OF TIME) and elbow grease restoring it to the original wood finish. I'm guessing it once looked something like this but with doors:

(I borrowed this image from the folks at http://www.lushpad.com)

And now that I look at it, I'm not sure the hutch part of the piece is original. That could've been added on at a later date. Regardless, it's great.

The other thing you could do with this piece is repaint it a nice, crisp, high gloss white...or even a white lacquer. (in the picture it looks like it's been painted cream) When it comes to midcentury modern furniture, clean is the operative word. If you love the hutch part and have lots of cool things you can display in there, I would remove the mirror back (carefully! cover it wish masking tape first in case the glass shatters on you) and the glass doors. Once the piece is a nice, crisp white,  it'll make the perfect backdrop for some colorful dishes or barware!

Obviously this is a very different piece but this'll give you an idea of what I mean:



I can't wait to see the finished product, Lesley! Keep me posted! And congrats on an amazing score!

No comments:

Post a Comment