Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Basement Diaries - Part 1

For the past two years I have been living in the midwest. It's great here. The people are nice, the corn is sweet, and the real estate prices rock my world. There's one eensy thing that's not so great. And that's the weather. I'm not referring to winter which can be brutal in a way that makes you want to eat only red meat and go six months without shaving your legs. I'm actually referring to the tornados.

Now I grew up in Florida where we get hurricanes. But with hurricanes you have time to prepare...time to board up, buy supplies, hunker down and pray for daylight, etc. etc. With tornados you have just enough time to run down into your basement and pray. Up until about a month ago the stairs to our basement were on the OUTSIDE of our house.

Now I'm not a meteorologist and I don't really understand the laws of physics, but I was hard pressed to imagine myself running INTO the storm with a baby in one arm and Design Assistant Magnus (D.A.M.) in the other. In case you'd forgotten, this is D.A.M.:


He's got a thing for animal print. But I digress.

There are several reasons why I hated the idea of running out into my backyard and into a possible tornado.

A: Both the child and D.A.M. are REALLY wiggly increasing my odds of dropping someone down a slippery-when-wet staircase.
B: Rain does a number on my hair.
C: I really liked the Wizard of Oz but I'd rather not relive the Wizard of Oz, you know what I'm saying?

Problem solved. We took out a chunk of Baby C's room to make way for a staircase. See?


Because the basement is only about seven feet high, we had to get creative when rebuilding Baby C's room. A pop-out with a built-in bookshelf allowed enough head clearance for the second half of the staircase. The result is this:


We lost a couple feet of room in the nursery but we gained peace of mind. There's no place like home, there's no place like home....


No comments:

Post a Comment